Exercise Your Mood
Your mood can be improved through exercise! The Exercise Your Mood campaign is designed to encourage Australians to get active and address the importance of regular exercise for not only maintaining physical health, but good mental health too.
Support a fantastic cause by adding extra meaning to your fitness goals, and use your fun run, swim challenge or cycling event to help raise vital funds for mental health research.
It's simple. Set up a fundraising page and request donations in support of you taking on your fitness challenge for the Black Dog Institute.
Create your own personal challenge below or select from our existing events
Research indicates that exercise can:
- significantly reduce mild-to-moderate depression
- boost serotonin – a chemical messenger that helps with mood regulation, sleep and appetite
- increase your levels of endorphins, which have natural mood-lifting properties
- provide a distraction from worrying and an increased sense of control over your feelings
- promote social interaction, which reduces feelings of isolation.
The great news is that exercise doesn't have to be strenuous to provide a benefit. If you're not used to regular exercise, start small and find something you feel good about doing – a brisk walk each day can make a real difference!
Why not use our Exercise Your Mood campaign to develop your own activity - involving your friends, family or your workplace.
Exercise Your Mood Ambassadors
The Black Dog Institute has partnered with a number of ambassadors to talk about why exercise is important to their wellbeing.